Computer Science Summer Institute-HBCU (CSSI-HBCU)
Dive into Computer Science with CSSI-HBCU
CSSI-HBCU’s mission is to increase the retention rate of students from Historically Black Colleges and Universities graduating with computer science (CS) degrees.
At CSSI-HBCU, cohorts of students from geographically similar HBCUs participate in a three-week residential program based in Raleigh, NC and Nashville, TN, where they’ll be taught an introduction to computer science by Google engineers. Through an engaging and hands-on curriculum, students develop a solid foundation of computational thinking, which prepares them for their future studies in CS. The programs finishes with a capstone project where students develop an application, so they have the tangible proof of what they’re able to achieve.
- Aim: Expose students to common programming languages, soft skills training and a community of support.
- Program length: The curriculum is designed to be used over three weeks, typically as a summer program.
- Curriculum: Google has designed a specific curriculum for our CSSI-HBCU program to best prepare students for their first year of college.
- Class size: The program is designed to be interactive. Google recommends a 10:1 student-to-teacher (or TA) ratio.
- Data collection: Google provides tools to collect students' feedback and engagement in the program.
- Application process: In order to participate, students must be attending an HBCU in the fall and submit an application by mid-April. Google reviews and selects the participating students.
- Instructors: Google provides the instructors and program managers to run the program.
Applications are currently closed for CSSI-HBCU 2018. Please check back in early 2019 for CSSI-HBCU 2019 applications.
Check out the CSSI-Extension program if you're a university faculty member or administrator interested in running a CSSI style program on your campus.
Eligibility & application
- Be a current high school senior
- Intend to be enrolled as a full-time student in a 4-year BA/BS program in the US (excluding territories) or Canada in Fall 2018
- Intend to be enrolled at a university in a computer science, computer engineering, software engineering, or related area department for the 2018-2019 academic year
- Be able to demonstrate an interest in and motivation for studying computer science
- Be able to attend every day of CSSI
Please complete the online application, which will include:
- An updated resume (PDF required)
- A current unofficial or official high school transcript (PDF required)
- SAT or ACT scores (if applicable)
- Responses to multiple short answer questions. Each response should be under 200 words (PDF required)
2018 Program Dates: July 8-28th, 2018
What costs does Google cover?
Google will cover the cost of the students’ round-trip flight within the US and Canada. Google will also be providing on-site housing and food for students who are selected to attend the program.
What’s the design of the program?
CSSI-HBCU is a three-week residential program taking place in Nashville, TN and Durham, NC.
Where will the students be staying?
The students will be staying in dorm style housing in Nashville, TN and Durham, NC.
Why have we selected these two locations?
The program will take place in Nashville, TN and Durham, NC. We’ve selected these two locations as they’re near the HBCUs we work with. These cities are also close to Google offices which ensures we’re able to include more Google volunteers in the program.
If you have questions that aren't answered in our FAQ, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re happy to address any questions directly related to the CSSI Program, but are unable to respond to other inquiries. We will not respond to spam, barraging messages, or messages that are primarily inflammatory or exploitative in nature.
You may also like
Google Code-in gives students an opportunity to explore open source development. Participants complete “tasks” for a variety of projects, and can earn t-shirts, digital certificates and sweatshirts. Grand prize winners receive a trip to Google’s HQ!
Legal Summer Institute
The Legal Summer Institute provides law students with insight into in-house and legal careers at Google and internships with partner law firms.