The Hardware Product Sprint (HPS) program is committed to increasing representation in tech by building a network of support for students who identify with historically excluded groups. HPS introduces students to tech industry best practices, diverse career paths to and within the tech industry, and an opportunity to apply concepts learned in school to hand-ons and collaborative projects. HPS introduces students to the product development process for consumer electronics by challenging students to design and build their own product.
During this 12 week program students will build a product via either the Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering path. Depending on students’ experience, background, and interests, they can select one of two tracks that HPS offers:
Mechanical Engineering: The course will introduce mechanical design concepts to create a high volume manufacturable product. This includes initial concept development, prototyping and device assembly.
Electrical Engineering: The course will cover microcontrollers, PCB design, assembly, and testing. The end result will be a working prototype of a consumer product.
Both tracks include:
- Courses that identify some of the fundamentals of engineering that appear often in the consumer electronics space.
- Materials, resources, and tools to design, ideate, and build a product.
- A Google Hardware Engineer mentor who will serve as your product advisor over the course of the 12 weeks.
- Opportunities to interact with Google Hardware engineers from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines.
- A group of 1-3 peers who you’ll collaborate with and bounce ideas off of in order to build out your individual products.
- Exposure and insight into Google’s internship programs and other career opportunities in the tech industry.
The program is open to students who meet all the minimum qualifications and we strongly encourage students that identify with groups historically excluded from the technology industry, including Women, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latinx, American Indian, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, students with disabilities, and veterans to apply. Previous participants of HPS are not eligible to reapply.