Hardware Product Sprint (HPS)
Learn what it takes to be a Google Hardware Engineer
Google's Hardware Product Sprint (HPS) will introduce you to the product development process for consumer electronics by challenging you to design and build your own product. Depending on your experience, background, and interests, you can select one of two tracks that HPS is offering:
Mechanical Engineering: The course will introduce mechanical design concepts to create a high volume manufacturable product. This includes initial concept development, prototyping and device assembly. Electrical Engineering: The course will cover microcontrollers, PCB design, assembly, and testing. The end result will be a working prototype of a consumer product.
Both tracks include:
- Courses that identify some of the fundamentals of engineering that appear often in the consumer electronics space.
- Materials, resources, and tools to design, ideate, and build a product.
- A Google Hardware Engineer mentor who will serve as your product advisor over the course of the 12 weeks.
- Opportunities to interact with Google Hardware engineers from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines.
- A group of 1-3 peers who you’ll collaborate with and bounce ideas off of in order to build out your individual products.
- An all-expenses paid culminating summit at the Googleplex to assemble, build, and present the final version of your product.
- Exposure and insight into Google’s internship programs and technical career opportunities.
This program will not run in 2020 in North America. Please check back in the coming months for additional information about this program.
Students from all college institutions, and students who identify with a group that is historically underrepresented in the technology industry, including but not limited to Black, Hispanic, Native American, students with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
This application is intended for candidates that are eligible for full-time authorization to work in the United States upon completing their education. If you do not meet this requirement, please consider applying for international opportunities on our careers site. Please check for opportunities in the office where you are eligible for full-time authorization.
To apply, students must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- At least 18 years of age by the beginning of the program
- Eligible to work in the United States without a visa
- A current second year or third year full-time student in a 4 year BA/BS program
- Pursuing a technical degree in any of the following areas of study:
- Electrical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Product Design.
What is the Hardware Product Sprint? The HPS is an immersive, virtual experience that — through the development of a technical product —will highlight the fundamentals of engineering (either mechanical or electrical depending on your area of interest) in consumer electronics, illustrate the product development process, and allow students to flex their lab skills. Throughout the program, students will have opportunities to connect with industry professionals in technical roles in consumer electronics and will be introduced to various opportunities.
Who is eligible to apply?
Eligible students must:
- Be in the second year or third year of a four-year BA/BS program
- Be majoring in one of the following areas of study: Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering, Computer Engineering/Computer Systems Engineering, *Electrical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Product Design.
- Demonstrate academic excellence
- Be able to provide proof of United States work authorization
What is the length of the program?My The program is a total of 12 weeks. The first 11 weeks (May 28th to August 9th) you will work virtually with the guidance of a Google Hardware Engineer who will serve as your Product Advisor. The final week will take place the week of August 12th at our Google Headquarters in Mountain View, California where you will build and assemble your finished products in-person.
Is US citizenship required for HPS? To be considered for the HPS, you must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Unfortunately, applicants without acceptable proof of identity and work authorization are not eligible to participate. You can find out about other opportunities for international students on our student website.
When will I find out if I’ve been selected? We will review all applications after the application closes on April 14th. We’ll be reaching out to all students to notify them of our decision in May 2019.
What is the short answer prompt? The Hardware Product Sprint is an opportunity to grow your skills and gain exposure to the product development process in the consumer electronics industry. This program will require you to be responsible for the build out of your own product in 12 weeks and you will likely encounter some bumps along the way. In 500 words or less, please tell us about a time when you had to independently solve a complex problem where there wasn’t a clear path to a solution and/or you didn’t have all of the information that you needed at the outset. Some questions you should consider in your response: How did you fail throughout that process? How did you respond to those failures? How did you get back on track to what you needed to get done? What did you learn? Looking back now, what would you do differently?
How do I submit my transcript and resume?
- Merge your resume and transcript into a single PDF.
- Upload file to your Google Drive account (available with Gmail accounts).
- Title the doc with your lastname_firstname_materials” e.g. “Potter_Harry_Materials"
- Share the document indicating that anyone with the link can view.
- Copy the URL and include the link in the application form.
Do I need to submit an official transcript? My No, an unofficial transcript is all you need. Please make sure that we can easily read the transcript copy you submit. A PDF format is preferred.
I’ve already submitted my application but I’d like to update my resume and/or transcript. Am I able to do so? You can update your resume and/or transcript by updating the original Drive link you shared or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to update is April 14th at 11:59pm PT. Once the application closes, we’ll be unable to update your documents.
Is the program all-expense paid? Yes, for the design and creation of your product, Google will cover the cost of the materials you’ll need in order to get it started. For the final week of the program, Google will cover the cost of travel and accommodations and provide meals and build materials.
Other questions? Don’t see your question answered on this page? Please email email@example.com with additional inquiries.
You may also like
Associate Product Manager Program
Learn more about the Associate Product Manager (APM) program, a 2-year rotational program for recent university graduates interested in product management. Full-time and internship applications are open.
BOLD Immersion provides a glimpse into the business side of the technology industry and exposure to business career opportunities at Google.