The Inside Look program brings together computer science students from all over Europe, the Middle East and Africa, to connect virtually over their passion for technology and a desire to learn more about life in a tech role at Google.
We're excited to invite students graduating later than August 2021, studying computer science or a related subject, to apply for Inside Look. The program has two elements: Inside Look Goes Digital on 27th and 28th August which is a two-day immersive virtual program, held on Google Meet, for top applicants, and Inside Look: YouTube Live! on 21 September for all applicants.
Selected attendees will be invited to join Inside Look Goes Digital; an immersive two-day virtual program, including tech talks, panels, technical interview practice, fun social activities, and — in true Google fashion — the chance to get your hands on some Google freebies, delivered directly to you at home!
While we are unable to host every applicant at Inside Look, we’ll also be holding Inside Look: YouTube Live on 21st September, where all applicants will be invited to hear from Google engineers on how they build products at scale, plus top tips and advice from our hiring team.
The Inside Look program is committed to supporting diversity at Google and the tech industry as a whole. Students who are members of any group that has been historically underrepresented in the tech industry are encouraged to apply!
We’ll be hosting this year’s Inside Look program virtually, over Google Meet. In order to apply, you must:
- Be currently studying Computer Science or a related subject at a university in Europe, the Middle East or Africa.
- Plan to continue your studies after August 2021, making you eligible for technical internships at Google.
Applications close on 1 June 2020 at 11:59 p.m. BST. Applicants will be notified of results by 22 June.
What is Inside Look?
The Inside Look program (which comprises Inside Look goes Digital and Inside Look: YouTube Live) is a development program for university students, studying Computer Science or related degrees in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
Inside Look goes Digital is a two-day virtual event for university students, organised by Google, which offers students the opportunity to learn about engineering roles at Google, and gain skills and experience to prepare them to apply for technical internships. We welcome applications from Bachelors, Masters and PhD students. Students from backgrounds that have historically been underrepresented in tech are encouraged to apply (for example: students who identify as female, or any other group historically underrepresented in the technology industry).
While we are unable to host all applicants at Inside Look Goes Digital, we will be hosting a separate event, Inside Look: YouTube Live, where all applicants are invited to hear from Google engineers on how they build products at scale, as well as hearing top tips and advice from our hiring team about applying for roles. We will send an invitation via email to all applicants closer to the date. As well as hearing from Googlers, you will also have a chance to ask questions in an interactive Q&A session.
When and where will the next Inside Look events take place?
Inside Look Goes Digital will take place virtually, over Google Meet, on 27 & 28 August 2020.
Previous Inside Look events have included both in-person and virtual events, but due to the current situation with Covid-19, we have decided to switch to a virtual-only format this year. We will be working hard to give students the best possible experience, and we hope to see an application from you soon!
Inside Look: YouTube Live is a virtual event, open to all applicants, and will take place on 21 September 2020.
Who can apply for Inside Look?
Inside Look applicants must be current Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD students, studying Computer Science or a related degree at a university in Europe, the Middle East or Africa (EMEA).
Applicants must be continuing their studies beyond the summer of 2021; this can be in your current degree or a different one. For example, if you will graduate from your Master's degree before Summer 2020, but will go on to do a PhD, then you would be eligible to apply.
I'm eligible! What’s the deadline for applications?
Applications for Inside Look 2020 will close at 23:59 BST on 1 June 2020.
When will I hear back on my application?
We will update all applicants by 22 June 2020 to let them know if they have been selected to attend Inside Look. All applicants will be notified of the decision by email.
I am a PhD student. Will the content be relevant to me?
Yes — many sessions will be relevant to PhD students, and you will get the chance to engage one-on-one with engineers from many different backgrounds. Googlers with PhDs go on to apply their experience to a wide variety of Product Areas and teams at Google, including those outside of their academic research area.
I want to get in touch with the Inside Look team?
We'd love to hear from you! Email us at email@example.com.
Terms & Conditions
- Applicants must be a current student pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree at a university in Europe, the Middle East or Africa.
- Applicants must have an expected graduation date after August 2021, including applicants graduating in 2020 from one degree program, but planning to continue with further education the following year.
- Google employees are not eligible to apply.
- Persons who are (i) citizens, nationals, or permanent residents of embargoed territories, (ii) ordinarily resident in embargoed territories, or (iii) otherwise prohibited by applicable export controls and sanctions programs are not eligible to apply for this program.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older as of 24th August 2020.
How to enter
To enter, applicants are required to complete the online application form and provide any supplementary information and/or documentation as may be requested by Google from time to time.
The application process will open on 4th May 2020 10am BST and will close on 1st June 2020 11.59pm BST. Entry deadlines may be extended at Google’s sole discretion.
- Each application will be evaluated and scored based on the following criteria: (i) demonstration of passion for computer science; (ii) academic merit; (iii) demonstration of programming skills (the “Criteria”).
- Each eligible application (determined in accordance with Section 1 (Eligibility) above) will be reviewed by Google in accordance with the Criteria by an internal panel of Google team members. The strongest 30-35 applications (as assessed and determined against the Criteria by the panel of Google team members in their sole discretion) will be accepted.
- Notification of successful applicants is expected to take place on or around 18th June 2020 and will be delivered to the email address provided at the time of application. Notification is subject to verification of eligibility.
- Successful applicants will be required to accept the invitation to participate in the Inside Look EMEA program within 7 days of notification by Google. If successful applicants fail to accept within 7 days, their participation in the program will be forfeited and Google may, in its sole discretion, select an alternative successful applicant, in accordance with the Criteria.
- Applicants understand that they may be contacted by Google in relation to internships, full-time job opportunities and other university programs should they opt-in to receive such communications.
- Successful applicants agree that Google may use their name and/or refer to their university in Google’s promotional materials relating to future Inside Look programs.
Not an offer or contract of employment
- Under no circumstances shall the submission of an Inside Look application or the participation in the program be construed as an offer or contract of employment with Google.
- Applicants acknowledge that they submit their application voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. Applicants acknowledge that no confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between applicant and Google and that no such relationship is established by applicants’ acceptance of these terms and conditions.
Running of the Program
- The 30-35 strongest applications, as assessed in accordance with the Criteria above at Google’s sole discretion, shall be selected to attend the Inside Look program.
- Inside Look will take place virtually on 27th and 28th of August 2020. The program consists of presentations, workshops, group projects and networking/social events, and will be hosted on Google’s virtual platforms.
Testimonials from past programs
“My main takeaway was that everything is possible and Google is just one unique, but not impossible, place to get in and that Googlers are just normal people and there is no reason we can't be among them”
“The highlight for me was meeting everyone (everyone was so nice and the whole atmosphere was so positive and uplifting). All the talks were awesome but the one that stood out to me the most was "The Life of SWE/SRE/PM" talk. It was very interesting. It went beyond the job description that I would typically read and it made me catch a glimpse of the actual life as a Google engineer.”
“Thanks again for such a wonderful experience that not only gave me the opportunity to know first hand from all the cool products you develop, but more importantly to share how passionate you are for making an impact on the world, no matter which area of Google you work for. It was a pleasure and an honor to be selected and by far is one of the greatest experiences I've had.”
“Thank you for the Inside Look event - it was super awesome and very motivational! I literally decided to apply for an intern position at Google during that event. It allowed me to learn so much about Google - the challenges that engineers face every day, culture, office itself etc.”
“I met a lot of incredible people and learned a lot from them. The fellow participants and the Googlers that I got to know were really amazing and friendly. Additionally, all of the Googlers were very helpful and willing to explain each topic and answer any question happily, which was very admirable. The experience I had, in all aspects, was amazing and very much valuable!”
“Inside Look was a great opportunity to learn more about the role of Site Reliability Engineer (SRE), a position in which I was very interested. Having spent the previous few months working on large scale distributed storage systems, the chance to learn about Google Cloud helped put my previous work into perspective. Almost exactly a year after the event, I started as a full time Engineer at Google, training to be an SRE specializing in Google Cloud. Inside Look gave me a peek at life at Google and the challenging tasks facing engineers everyday, giving me the confidence to apply for such a role and the tools to successfully prepare for the interview process.”
“Thank you so much for this opportunity. I loved the event and I got more confident in thinking that I can pass the actual interviews and be happy working for Google. I extended my network with 31 amazing young computer scientists that I would have never had a chance to meet otherwise.”
You may also like
Associate Product Manager Program
Learn more about the Associate Product Manager (APM) program, a 2-year rotational program for recent university graduates interested in product management. Full-time and internship applications are open.
BOLD Immersion provides a glimpse into the business side of the technology industry and exposure to business career opportunities at Google.
Google Sandbox is a program series designed for industry professionals to explore career opportunities while gaining deeper insight into Google's technology, business, and culture. Sandbox provides a platform to continue professional development, share best practices, and build new relationships with fellow professionals.