Inside Look brings talented computer science students studying in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa to a Google office for an insider’s view of engineering at Google.
Inside Look brings computer science students on an all-expenses-paid trip to a Google office for two immersive days of technical content and exposure to engineering at Google.
Selected students are invited to attend an all-expenses-paid trip to experience an immersive two-day program that explores Google offices, allows participants to meet the teams behind Google's products, and allows them to gain a deep understanding of life as an engineer at Google. Activities include product tech talks, hands-on workshops, panel discussions from a diverse range of Google engineers, and — in true Google fashion — plenty of Google goodies!
In order to apply for Inside Look, you must fulfill the following eligibility requirements:
- Currently studying computer science or a related subject at a university in Europe, the Middle East, or Africa
- Plan to continue your studies after the summer of 2019, making you eligible for internships with Google
What is Inside Look?
Inside Look is a program for university students, organized by Google, which offers top technical students the opportunity to see inside a Google office, learn about engineering at Google, and enhance their coding skills through hands-on engagement with Google engineers. The program is open to Bachelor’s, Master’s, and PhD students from universities in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Students from groups historically underrepresented in the tech industry are encouraged to apply! Many Inside Look alumni have gone on to gain roles as interns or full time employees at Google.
When is the next Inside Look program?
Inside Look 2018 will take place at Google Munich in Germany, on 30th & 31st August 2018. Previous Inside Look editions have taken place at Google’s Zurich, Warsaw, and London offices.
Who can apply for Inside Look?
Inside Look applicants must be current bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD students, studying computer science or a related degree at a university in Europe, the Middle East, or Africa (EMEA).
Applicants must be continuing their studies beyond the summer of 2019; this can be in your current degree or a different one. For example, if you will graduate from your master’s degree before Summer 2019, but will go on to do a PhD, then you would be eligible to apply.
For full eligibility requirements, please check our terms & conditions tab.
I'm eligible! How do I apply?
Applications for Inside Look 2018 opened on 7th May 2018 - click here to apply! You must include an up-to-date CV/resume to be considered for Inside Look.
What’s going on at Google Munich?
Inside Look aims to give an insider view to engineering at Google, so we always feature a Google site with a high presence of engineers across various technical roles and teams. Our Munich site is home to a community of engineers from all over the world, and continues to be one of our fastest growing sites in EMEA. Key product areas include Cloud Artificial Intelligence and Chrome, among many others.
I'm a PhD student. Will the content be relevant to me?
Inside Look has an ambitious agenda of technical talks, coding workshops and more. You will get the chance to engage one-on-one with engineers from many different backgrounds, and learn about the life of a PhD Googler, and how engineers with PhDs apply their experience to a wide variety of product areas and teams at Google, including those outside of their academic research area. Additionally, some sessions will group students based on degree level and/or area of interest, with the content tailored to the audience.
If I’m selected to attend, will I need to pay for my flight and accommodation?
No! Google covers all travel costs and at least one night of accommodation for successful applicants. We also provide meals (and many other Google goodies) while you're with us. You're welcome to stay in the city for additional days, but at your own expense.
See our terms & conditions page for more details.
Want to get in touch with the Inside Look team?
We’d love to hear from you! Email us at email@example.com.
Terms & Conditions
- Applicants must be a current student pursuing a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD degree at a University in Europe, the Middle East, or Africa.
- Applicants must have an expected graduation after summer of 2019.
- Google employees are not eligible to apply.
- Persons who are (1) residents of embargoed countries, (2) ordinarily resident in embargoed countries, or (3) otherwise prohibited by applicable export controls and sanctions programs are not eligible to apply for this program.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older as of 1st of August 2018.
How to enter.
- To enter applicants are required to complete the online application form and provide any supplementary information and/or documentation as may be requested by Google from time to time.
- The application process will open on 7th of May 2018 and will close on the 11th of June 2018 BST. Entry deadlines may be extended at Google’s sole discretion.
- Each application will be evaluated and scored based on the following criteria (i) demonstration of passion for computer science (ii) academic merit; (iii) demonstration of programming skills (the “Criteria”).
- Each eligible application (determined in accordance with Section 1 (Eligibility) above) will be reviewed by Google in accordance with the Criteria by an internal panel of Google team members. The best 30 applications (as assessed and determined by the panel of internal Google team members in their sole discretion against the Criteria) will be successful.
- Notification of successful applicants will take place no later than 28th of June 2018 by the email address provided at the time of application. Notification is subject to verification of eligibility.
- Successful applicants will be required to accept the invitation to participate in the Inside Look EMEA program within 7 days of notification by Google. If successful applicants fail to accept within 7 days, their participation in the program will be forfeited and Google may, in its sole discretion, select an alternative successful applicant, in accordance with the Criteria.
- Applicants understand that they may be contacted by Google in relation to internships, full-time job opportunities and other university programs communication should they opt-in to receive them.
- Successful applicants agree that Google may, from time to time, use their name and/or refer to their university in Google’s promotional materials relating to future Inside Look programs.
Not an offer or contract of employment
- Under no circumstances shall the submission of an Inside Look application or the participation in the program be construed as an offer or contract of employment with Google.
- Applicants acknowledge that they submit their application voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. Applicants acknowledge that no confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between applicant and Google and that no such relationship is established by applicants acceptance of these terms and conditions.
Running of the Program
- The 30 best applications, as assessed in accordance with the Criteria above shall be selected to attend the Inside Look program.
- Inside Look: Munich will run on 30th and 31st of August 2018 at Google’s office in Munich, Germany (or other such locations as Google may determine). The program consists of presentations, workshops, group projects and networking/social events in the office and in public locations outside the Google office.
Travel and accommodation
- Successful applicants will be required to travel to and from Munich, Germany on August 30th and August 31st 2018 respectively in order to attend the 2-day program.
- Travel and accommodation will be organised by Google (or its appointed subcontractor specialising in event management). Successful applicants agree that the Google (or its appointed subcontractor) will have access to your personal information and may contact you regarding travel arrangements for the purposes of organising and administering the program. * Google will be responsible for the costs of (i) transportation to and from the program, including airport transfers and flight tickets where applicable; and (ii) reasonable accommodation in Munich for the duration of the program as organised by Google and/or its selected partner.
- Participants are responsible for liaising with their local embassy/consulate to determine if they require a VISA to travel to Munich, Germany. If a VISA is required, it is the applicant's sole responsibility to organise such VISA. Google will only provide a VISA support letter (soft and/or hardcopy) and will reimburse any VISA related fees properly evidenced and submitted to Google in accordance with the process communicated by Google.
- Google follows a “No receipt, no payment” policy for reimbursements so no payment will be made for any eligible reimbursements under this section 8.4 without appropriate receipts. Please keep track of all receipts for program related expenses. Successful applicants are responsible for hotel incidentals, souvenirs and for any costs associated with prolonging their time in Munich at their own choice
- Google will cover reasonable costs of travel, accommodation and meals for carer (if applicable) where reasonably necessary, requested and approved by Google in advance.
- Participants are personally responsible for organizing their own travel insurance, to cover both you and your belongings for the duration of your participation in the program. Google cannot guarantee that participants will be covered under any government health care schemes and successful applicants are recommended to take out their own policy for medical coverage and repatriation prior to travel.
You may also like
Computer Science Summer Institute-HBCU (CSSI-HBCU)
CSSI-HBCU’s mission is to increase the retention rate of students from Historically Black Colleges and Universities graduating with computer science degrees.
Playlist: Google Students YouTube Live
Your one-stop shop to find and experience our @GoogleStudents YouTube Live events, including sessions covering our roles, hiring, and more.