STEP (Student Training in Engineering Program)
Google's STEP internship — for first and second-year undergraduate students with a passion for computer science
STEP (Student Training in Engineering Program), formerly known as Engineering Practicum, is a 12-week internship for first and second-year undergraduate students with a passion for computer science. The internship program has a focus of providing development opportunities to students from groups historically underrepresented in tech, through technical training and professional development.
Our unique internship offers the opportunity to work on a software project alongside other STEP interns and full-time Googlers, and provides the chance to bridge the gap between academic understanding and practical professional experience.
What you can expect from your STEP internship:
- Project: Complete a challenging technical project where you will build solutions and gain exposure to immense scale and complexity.
- Enrichment: Attend technical talks by Googlers, gain insight into technical interview preparation, learn about Google’s coding practices and technologies, and develop other skills that will set you up for success.
- Mentorship: Receive coaching and mentorship from Google engineers to guide you through your summer experience.
- Connect: Build personal networks and friendships with a diverse group of students who share your passion for technology.
- Must be a first-year or second-year undergraduate student currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical field at a university in North America.
- First-year students must have taken one college level Computer Science course by the end of first semester. (AP or IB Computer Science is acceptable.)
- Students must be available for a full-time 12-week internship from May 2020 to August 2020 or June 2020 to September 2020.
- Second-year students should have taken two Computer Science courses.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
- Returning to a Bachelor's degree program with at least two years remaining in their academic program after completion of the Summer 2020 internship
You may also like
IT Residency Program (ITRP)
Google's IT Residency Program (ITRP) is a 26-month role designed to jumpstart your career in technology at Google or beyond. Residents will learn what it takes to support and scale Google’s technology from our corporate infrastructure to end users.
Google Sandbox is a program series designed for industry professionals to explore career opportunities while gaining deeper insight into Google's technology, business, and culture. Sandbox provides a platform to continue professional development, share best practices, and build new relationships with fellow professionals.