STEP (Student Training in Engineering Program)
Google's STEP internship — for first and second-year undergraduate students with a passion for computer science
STEP (Student Training in Engineering Program), formerly known as Engineering Practicum, is a 12-week internship for first and second-year undergraduate students with a passion for computer science. The internship program has a focus of providing development opportunities to students from groups historically underrepresented in tech, through technical training and professional development.
Our unique internship offers the opportunity to work on a software project alongside other STEP interns and full-time Googlers, and provides the chance to bridge the gap between academic understanding and practical professional experience.
What you can expect from your STEP internship:
- Complete a challenging technical project where you will build solutions and gain exposure to immense scale and complexity.
- Attend technical talks by Googlers, gain insight into technical interview preparation, learn about Google’s coding practices and technologies, and develop other skills that will set you up for success.
- Receive coaching and mentorship from Google engineers to guide you through your summer experience.
- Build personal networks and friendships with a diverse group of students who share your passion for technology.
- First or second-year Bachelor's student majoring in Computer Science or a related field.
- First year students have taken one college computer science courses (AP or IB included). Second-year students should have taken two.
- Currently attending a university in North America.
- Returning to a Bachelor's degree program with at least two years remaining in their academic program after completion of the Summer 2021 internship.
- Ability to complete a full-time, 12-week internship between May and August or June and September 2021 (exact program dates will be provided at a later point in the process).
You may also like
Legal Summer Institute
The Google Legal Summer Institute provides underrepresented law students with insight into in-house and legal careers at Google.
IT Residency Program (ITRP)
Google's IT Residency Program (ITRP) is a 26-month role designed to jumpstart your career in technology at Google or beyond. Residents will learn what it takes to support and scale Google’s technology from our corporate infrastructure to end users.